The kitchen is the hub of activity in your home. Not only does it store your food and act as the cooking and eating area, but it may also function as the homework center, your work-from-home space, and the at-home bar for catching up with friends. As a place with so much activity, it’s no wonder families want to renovate this space by adding square footage with a breakfast nook.
Installing a nook in your kitchen could be the solution you need to create extra space in your home for gathering friends and family. Consider these benefits of adding a custom breakfast nook.
What Is a Breakfast Nook?
A breakfast nook is a small, dedicated space within or adjacent to the kitchen, designed specifically for informal dining and socializing. It typically consists of a compact table and seating options, such as chairs, benches, or built-in banquettes. Breakfast nooks are often found in a corner or near a window, taking advantage of natural light and providing a pleasant view while enjoying meals or casual gatherings.
In terms of design, breakfast nooks can vary greatly depending on personal preferences and available space. Kitchens with a breakfast area can be simple and minimalist, with a small round or square table and a couple of chairs, or more elaborate, featuring built-in seating arrangements, storage solutions, and decorative elements. The goal of a breakfast nook is to create a cozy, intimate area that promotes conversation and relaxation, separate from the formal dining room. If you’re still on the fence about adding a nook to your kitchen, keep reading to find out the benefits of a breakfast nook.
More Prep Space
In a kitchen, every inch of counter space is precious. Whether you’re prepping a family dinner or setting up for a large party, you need as much space as you can get. You don’t want your elbow to knock a freshly baked pie to the floor as you whip up a homemade sauce for your roasted veggies, and you don’t want guests to have to precariously balance their plates on the edge of the counter as they dish up a healthy serving of your homemade macaroni and cheese.
By adding a breakfast nook into your kitchen plan, you incorporate more flat surfaces into one of the busiest rooms in your home. Now, you have a place to safely rest extra dishes while you continue to prep the meal. And your kids have a dedicated space for completing homework while you work your magic in the kitchen.
If you’ve ever hosted a party or gathering in your home, you have likely asked, “Where will we seat everyone?” When you have a breakfast nook in your kitchen, this question becomes a thing of the past! Guests can dine in the dining room, around your kitchen counter, or at your brand-new breakfast nook. Everyone can have their own space without knocking elbows with their neighbors.
An Extra Dose of Natural Lighting
What is the first thing you picture when you hear the words “breakfast nook?” Perhaps, you envision a cozy space tucked into the corner of your kitchen with a bay window and window seat overlooking the towering trees and colorful flowers in your backyard. Or maybe you see a space with windows on all three walls. Indeed, breakfast nooks are often known for being bright spots in a kitchen corner. You can brighten your culinary space by adding a nook featuring plenty of windows. Place a table and chairs in this corner, and your family can have a cozy place to enjoy breakfast, play games, or read.
A Dedicated Space for Together Time
With so many different school, extracurricular, and work schedules, finding a moment for family time can be challenging. By adding a breakfast nook to your kitchen, you create a visual reminder that everyone can benefit from taking a few minutes to sit together. Studies have shown that family members who eat together can enjoy a greater sense of closeness and less stress. With your new breakfast nook, your family can easily come together in one space to catch up on their days.
The breakfast nook doesn’t have to be for just eating breakfast. It can also act as your dining area during family dinners, your space for family game night, or a cozy corner for friends to eat or drink with you. If you’re living the single life, a kitchen nook can be a great place for starting your day or winding down at night with a good book or your favorite show on your tablet.
Increased Resale Value
While you may not have any plans to sell your home in the foreseeable future, it’s still beneficial to note that kitchens with a breakfast area have a significantly higher value than homes without. Prospective buyers will fall in love with your place if they imagine themselves living there, and most people are willing to pay top dollar for a kitchen with a charming breakfast nook.
Kitchen Nook Design Ideas
Now that you know the benefits of a breakfast nook, let’s explore some design ideas to help you create a comfortable and stylish space in your kitchen.
- Built-In Seating: One of the most popular kitchen nook design ideas is built-in seating, which not only saves space but also creates a cozy and intimate atmosphere. You can choose from various options, such as built-in benches, window seats, or banquette seating. Don’t forget to add comfortable cushions and throw pillows for added comfort and style.
- Storage Solutions: Incorporate storage solutions into your breakfast nook design to maximize space and keep your kitchen clutter-free. Ideas include under-seat storage, shelves, or cabinets.
- Statement Lighting: Kitchens with a breakfast area need special lighting to tie the whole design together. A statement light fixture can help define your breakfast nook and create a focal point in your kitchen area. Choose a pendant light, chandelier, or even a string of fairy lights to add warmth and ambiance.
- Mix and Match: Combine different styles, materials, and colors to create a unique and personalized breakfast nook. For example, pair a wooden table with metal chairs, or mix a modern bench with vintage-inspired accessories.
- Window Treatments: If your breakfast nook is located near a window, consider adding window treatments to control natural light and enhance privacy. Options include curtains, blinds, or even indoor shutters.
- Accessorize: Personalize your breakfast nook with accessories that reflect your personality and style. Add artwork, a statement wall clock, or decorative items like vases and tableware to complete the look.
Expand the Functionality of Your Kitchen With a Breakfast Nook
Whether you are hoping to increase the seating capacity of your kitchen or open the space up visually, you could benefit from adding a breakfast nook to your kitchen. If you’re ready to reimagine your home, get in touch with Lancaster Kitchens and Baths for kitchen remodeling services. Our specialists can help you with the design and installation of everything from breakfast nooks to kitchen countertops. Cozy or sophisticated, we can help you realize your dream kitchen aesthetic! Contact us today to set up an estimate.